• May 27Memorial Day: No School - (05/27)
  • May 29Finals - (05/29 to 05/31)
  • May 31Last Day of School - (05/31)

Netflix Show Review: Bridgerton, a Lavish Regency Romance

Netflix+released+the+first+part+of+the+long-awaited+third+season+of+Bridgerton+on+May+16%2C+2024.+
Alyssa Vu
Netflix released the first part of the long-awaited third season of Bridgerton on May 16, 2024.

On May 16, Netflix released the first part of the long-awaited third season of Bridgerton. The show follows an unconventional release structure, where the first four episodes release a month before the entire season. The second part of the latest installment will come to Netflix on June 13.

The television series is set in regency-era England, and follows the prominent Bridgerton family through their quests to find love. The previous two seasons were some of Netflix’s greatest successes, winning a multitude of awards. The show’s popularity led to the creation of a spin-off as well as a quick renewal for a third season.

About the Story

This latest season follows the climax of Colin Bridgerton and Penelope Featherington’s love story. The previous two seasons exposed the audience to Colin and Penelope’s dynamic and set the stage for their relationship.

Last season, Penelope was heartbroken when she overhears Colin saying that he would never court her. She gives up her longtime, unrequited crush on Colin and decides to actively pursue a husband. Penelope starts searching for a partner who will give her “enough independence to continue her double life as Lady Whistledown.” 

Colin, after realizing Penelope overheard his insult, is desperate to regain her friendship. He helps her find a suitable partner while confronting his own feelings in the process. 

Adding to Penelope’s challenges is her strained relationship with Eloise Bridgerton, who has formed an unexpected friendship elsewhere. Penelope’s increasing prominence in high society also complicates her efforts to maintain her secret identity as Lady Whistledown.

Why Watch?

Bridgerton‘s third season is no less romantic or entertaining as its previous two counterparts. While the first and second seasons showcased dynamic and intense love stories, the third season was more introspective. The show did a fantastic job exploring the intricacies of falling in and out of love with a friend.

As is the Bridgerton standard, both the sets and the costuming transport the audience to regency-era London. Its almost ostentatious production truly creates a world of its own. 

In the past, the series has been applauded for its acting, direction, and set design. Bridgerton: Season Three certainly lives up to the accolades, with its raw exploration of what it means to love.