• May 27Memorial Day: No School - (05/27)
  • May 29Finals - (05/29 to 05/31)
  • May 31Last Day of School - (05/31)

Seniors receive letters from Freshmen self

Gigi Zhang
Aayush Gupta (’24) opens his freshmen letter to self.

Every year, the freshmen class is assigned  to write a letter to their future self in their Health class. Students are instructed to write a letter, seal it in an envelope, place a stamp, and return it to their teachers. 

“I thought [writing a letter to myself] was exciting. It gives you something to look forward to. And it also made me think [how] in four years time, a lot will be different. It’s cool to have this documented and see how much will change,” said Amy Chen (‘27).

Students address each letter to their own home address. Four years later, the school will deliver all letters to the post office. Earlier this May, the soon-to-be-graduating class of 2024 received their letters written by their freshmen-selves from 2020. 

“I completely forgot about this letter, but a bunch of people reminded me. Then I checked the mail this one time in the last three weeks, I found it. Reading [my letter] was pretty cool, I made an entire scavenger hunt. I think it shows character growth in a person, and also shows I was pretty weird in freshman year,” said Aayush Gupta (‘24).

This long-held tradition at Amador is at least 20 years old. It gives freshmen a chance to think about their future. It is also a way for seniors to see self growth when they receive their letters back. 

“I think the biggest feedback I receive from seniors on campus is ‘Oh my gosh, I changed so much,’” said Jaimi Turner, AV health teacher.

Many students found reading their letters an exciting and fascinating event. Each person adds personal twists into the assignment. Some packaged stickers with the mail, some hand wrote the letter, and some even predicted their future. 

“I was reading my freshmen letter to myself and was really surprised that I kind of predicted where I was going to go for college. When I was a freshman I thought that would be a miracle [to get into the college I will be attending] and it probably won’t happen, but it’s happening now,” said Kathryn Go (‘24).

Health teachers provide brainstorming questions to help students write letters. Questions ask students to write about the past, the present, and future. Some students continue this activity on their own. 

I know a teacher in middle school that has [students] schedule emails to themselves. I don’t know how far into the future you can do that, but it’s the same idea. Or, [you could] ask someone else to mail it to you in a few years and set a reminder,” said Turner.